Thursday 18 July 2013

Sandy Deluca's "Messages From The Dead"

 
Today I'd like welcome Sandy Deluca, author of "Messages From The Dead" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!

 
 
 
 
Sandy DeLuca has been a painter since 1985. Her worked has been exhibited in college galleries, hair salons, tattoo parlors, bookstores and traditional galleries. Her art has been purchased throughout the United States, Canada, Asia and Europe. In addition, she has painted cover art and interior art for publications which have reached worldwide audiences. She has been a writer since the late 80’s, penning nonfiction articles and photography for magazines and newsletters--throughout the 90’s. She created GODDESS OF THE BAY publishing in the late 90’s, producing several anthologies and a string of small press magazines. She was a finalist for the BRAM STOKER for poetry award in 2001.

At present she is a fulltime writer and painter. She’s written and published five novels, two poetry collections and several novellas. She is assistant curator at NEW HOPE GALLERY, in Cranston, RI and continues to exhibit her art in local venues.
 
 
 
 
 
Ok - lets go!
 
 

No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?
That would depend on the situation and your interpretation of the law. I believe that there are times when true justice is outside the law. My immediate family is small, two members are children, much too young to fend for themselves, and I would do anything for them.
 

No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
Friends and family are often offended when I tell them I don’t have the time to hang out with them, because I have writing deadlines or art projects to complete. And they say, "You should be out enjoying yourself instead of working so hard." What they cannot understand is that I am being true to who I really am. I didn’t have the opportunity to do so for many, many years. I worked nine to five and had tremendous family responsibilities, and limits regarding my time. Now I have the opportunity to be more prolific with my writing and painting. Who knows how long anyone has here? So I’m determined to take advantage of the remaining time that I do have—and now I am truly living.
 
No.3 What motivates you to write?
Other writers who inspire me motivate me to write, and it’s something I’ve always done in one form or another.
 
No.4 Why do human's want children?
I have one child, and I often refer to him as my ultimate expression of creation. He is brilliant, successful and a wonderful parent himself. The experience of raising a child is an awesome one.
 
No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "MESSAGES FROM THE DEAD" ?
I tend to overwrite in the initial drafts of my books, and trimming it down without losing its edge was my biggest challenge.
 
No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
I’ve learned that there is always something more to learn no matter how far you’ve gone in life. We’re all here for one reason or another; and sometimes I play the role of the teacher, while other times I am the student.
 
 
No.7 How did you come up with the title "MESSAGES FROM THE DEAD" ?
The dead literally speak to my protagonist (Donna), as they did to her grandmother who performed séances when Donna was a child. So, there are truly messages from the dead throughout my book.
 
No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?
It depends on where it’s coming from. If it’s from a respected teacher, from someone who I admire, and who has spent years perfecting his or her craft, then I’ll attempt to learn the lesson handed to me. On the other hand, if it’s from someone who really didn’t take the time to read my work, or try to understand it, then I don’t think about it all.
 

No.9 Why should people read your book?
They should read my book because I need to eat and pay my bills. All kidding aside, if a reader enjoys horror and a good scare, then "Messages from the Dead" is one of the creepiest books I’ve written to date.
 
No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
Even nothing is something. Everything we see, or cannot see, is something—thoughts, energy, feelings. Time passes, but does it really exist in the literal sense, and does God exist in the form that you perceive it? Everything is happening at once and nothing is happening in the same instant.
 
 
Thanks Sandy for taking the time to answer my questions
& the best of luck with your new book!

Check out her new book "Messages from the Dead" on
 

 
 
Donna had never been like other girls.

She was raised by her enigmatic grandmother, who held séances in her parlor, mystifying strangers who came to their home on smoky summer nights seeking messages from deceased loved ones. Year later, she's settled into a normal life with her husband Joe, and attending art school at Castell Community College in the evenings with her best friend Andrea. But Castell is much more than a school. Once home to a children's hospital, the ghosts of the restless dead still roam the darkened hallways, and now they want something from Donna…and they'll stop at nothing to get it…


 





.
 

2 comments: