Thursday 5 September 2013

Michelle Abbott's "In Chains"

 
Today I'd like welcome Michelle Abbott, author of "In Chains" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!
 
 

I grew up in London in the United Kingdom and now live in the Kent countryside with my two adult sons. I love reading all genres of romance and enjoy writing romance with heroes who begin as the underdog and are protective of their girl. I spend a lot of time at my computer, typing on a keyboard that has no letters on the keys because they've all worn off :-) I enjoy travelling and seeing new places and occasionally I knit.
 
 
OK - Here we go !.
 
No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?
 
Absolutely. I would do just about anything to save someone I love. There’s a quote by Douglas Bader that sums up my feelings: Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men
 
 
No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
 
Hmm, to me, living suggests just going through the motions and not really fully engaging with life. I think truly living is experiencing life in the moment. Often, instead of really experiencing something we are thinking ahead to what’s to come, or thinking about something that has already happened instead of what is going on now. Life is amazing, there is so much love and beauty and even painful experiences teach us something.
 
 
No.3 What motivates you to write?
 
 
I like using my imagination and I have characters in my head that I want to share with the world. When I see people are enjoying my first book it inspires me to write more on my second one.
 
 
No.4 Why do human's want children?
 
Maybe they want a part of themselves to go on! I have two sons and I wanted a child to take care of and to love. Also I guess creating a child is an expression of love between two people.
 
 
No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "In Chains" ?
 
Creating it wasn’t a challenge because I had the idea for the book for a long time before I wrote it and when it came to putting it down in words, they just flowed from my fingers. I had it written and edited within three months. For me the challenge was marketing it and that’s on-going. There are so many books out there and it’s easy for mine to get lost amongst them.
 
 
No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
 
This is easy to answer because a couple of years ago my father died suddenly when he appeared to be perfectly healthy. Appreciate the people you love and spend as much quality time with them as you can, let them know you love them because life is short and you never know if today will be the last time you’ll see them.
 
 
No.7 How did you come up with the title "In Chains" ?
 
As my book involves slavery I wanted a title that reflected that and I wanted it to be short and memorable. With the help of family and friends I came up with a few titles. I liked In Chains but I first checked on amazon to make sure no other book had that title because I wanted mine to be unique.
 
 
No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?
 
I have a thick skin and get over criticism quickly. If I think the criticism is justified I try to learn from it. If I think it’s misplaced I just dismiss it and don’t think any more about it.
 
 
No.9 Why should people read your book?
 
Oh heck, this means I have to blow my own trumpet and I’m not comfortable doing that! I guess they should read my book if they believe in the power of love to make a positive difference in another person’s life. If they want to read about forbidden love and if they believe that we are all worthy of being loved, even if society considers us less than human. We are all the same inside and just as deserving. They may enjoy my book if they like to read a somewhat dystopian style story but set in the current time.
 
 
No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
 
Sheesh, that’s a hard question! I have no idea. What is something? If we believe something exists, then it’s real to us even if it doesn’t really exist. So, I guess my answer is, there is something because I believe there is something. As to what that something is, I haven’t a clue!
 
 

Thanks Michelle for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book!
Check out "In Chains" on
 
 
A romance set in a world where slavery is government run and slaves are fitted with microchips. Savannah, fleeing a turbulent relationship, seeks solace at her brother’s country farmhouse. It’s there that she meets Kayden; her brother’s slave who's considered less than human. These two damaged souls form an unbreakable bond, one that’s about to be tested, because Kayden is her brother’s property and he will stop at nothing to keep them apart. Please note this book contains some sexual scenes, violence and strong language.
 
 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment