Thursday 27 March 2014

Lauryn April - Author of "A Different Kind"

Today I'd like welcome Lauryn April, author of "A Different Kind" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!

Lauryn is an indi writer in the young adult / adult paranormal romance genre. She lives in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and is currently seeking a degree in Psychology. You can find out more about her on her blog where she writes about her experiences writing and shares her opinion about books. laurynapril.blogspot.com You can also follow her on twitter @LaurynApril where she tweets about articles and blogs she reads, specifically related to reading, writing, and the reviewing of books.



OK - HERE WE GO !!



No.1  Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?

Yes, so long as it was the right thing to do. Laws keep order, but right and wrong aren’t always as black and white. 

No.2  What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Life is short. If you don’t take the time to enjoy it, you’re missing out. Being alive is going through the motions. It’s doing the things you’re supposed to do, the things you need to do. Truly living is taking risks, it’s perusing your dreams. It’s doing what you need to do to be happy.

No.3  What motivates you to write?

My motivation to write comes from inside. As cliché as it may sound, it’s like the need to breath. Writing is something I have to do. I’ve tried stopping. I can’t.  That said, like anyone else, I have my moments of writer’s block. When something’s getting me down it’s usually my readers and their reviews that pull me back up.

No.4  Why do humans want children?

I don’t think all humans do. But, for those that do, I think I’ll reference question #2. Life is short, and I think for many, “truly living” means experiencing all that life has to offer, including having children. There is something special about creating something that’s a part of you and being able to pass on the things you’ve learned and worked for.

No.5  What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "A Different Kind" ?

I’ve always loved stories about the paranormal, but when it came to science fiction…not so much. But, somehow I came up with this idea of “What if your typical mean-girl cheerleader was abducted by aliens?” and just ran with it. It was tough because not having read much science fiction I felt a little out of my element, but I also think because of that I may have been able to do something a little different.

No.6  What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far? 

Don’t take things so seriously.

No.7  How did you come up with the title "A Different Kind" ?

The obvious answer is that “A Different Kind” refers to the aliens Payton encounters, but I think “A Different Kind” refers to a few different things in the novel. I can’t really say much more than that without being spoiler-ly.

No.8  How do you handle personal criticism?

I think whenever you hear negative comments about yourself or your work; you need to do two things. First you can’t let it get to you. People have different opinions. Just because someone doesn’t see things the same way you do doesn’t mean they’re right. Second, don’t dismiss what they say. Don’t let it hurt your feelings, but consider their words and grow from them.

No.9  Why should people read your book? 

As one of my readers said “A Different Kind” is a “great story with lots of lessons about acceptance, kindness and growing up.” I think there are themes throughout the book that people will relate to. It’s an entertaining read with exciting moments, scary moments, but underneath it all; it’s a story about growing up.

No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?

I suppose that is the ultimate question, isn’t it? Sadly, I don’t think it’s one we’ll ever be able to answer. I could easily spend my entire life contemplating existence, and while I do ponder it from time to time, I’d rather spend my life living it (See question #2).




Thanks Lauryn for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book! 


Check out her new book "A Different Kind" on



Payton Carlson’s life is perfect – until the night she’s abducted by aliens. Now she’s plagued by pieces of memories from a night that feels as hazy as a dream, and that’s not the only strange thing that’s been happening. When Payton’s neighbor, Logan Reed, who spends every night sitting on his roof staring at the stars, starts to pay extra attention to her, Payton starts to wonder if he knows more about the night she can’t remember than she does. Suddenly finding a date to the Homecoming dance and cheering at the football games aren’t as important as they used to be - especially when the aliens return for a second time.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment