Thursday 10 July 2014

Yolanda Ramos, author of "The Seventh Sentinel"

Today I'd like welcome Yolanda Ramos, author of  "The Seventh Sentinel" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!

I love reading fantasy and thrillers. When not writing, I read,scrapbook,cook and when not feeling lazy go cycling.Mother of two sons, three maltese, and Basil, the cantankerous parrot.

OK - HERE WE GO !!  

1. Would you break the law to save a loved one? ..why?

Absolutely - if it meant saving their lives from an evil psychotic killer, human or otherwise!  Ever heard of a mother bear protecting her cubs, a lioness protecting her babies? That's me.

2. What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Being alive is going through the motions of living without thought to improving ourselves and hopefully, affecting the lives of others in a positive way. 'Truly living' means doing everything to the best of my ability, no matter how small or big it is. Also, savouring and appreciating the good experiences and learning from the bad. Valuing people, showing tolerance and not passing judgement for opinions/beliefs/lifestyles that are different from our own.

3. What motivates you to write?

Two main reasons motivated me to write. I stopped working and needed something to keep my brain working and fill my time. I love reading fantasy and paranormal books and wanted to read something with angels portrayed as they are in the Bible, essentially good beings. Most everything I read with angels showed them in the process of turning evil or falling in love with women, and demons were portrayed as trying to be good. So I decided to write a story where angels are the good guys and demons are the bad guys.

4. Why do humans want children?

Procreation? Continuation of the species? Leaving behind a part of ourselves? Speaking for myself, it just seemed a natural, how shall I put it, by-product of my marriage. Okay, jokes aside. Family is important to me and I love huge family get togethers, especially at Christmas, birthdays or just Sunday lunches. I'm Portuguese and keeping the family name going, is a big deal for us.

5. What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "The Seventh Sentinel"?

My book has a lot of historical content in it, so research was my biggest challenge. It's very time consuming and sometimes there are a lot of differing opinions from the historical buffs as to who did what and when. But I enjoyed every second of it and learnt so much.

6. What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?

To be kind and compassionate and careful of how you treat those you love. Life is precious, people are precious. Every moment with someone you love counts. Once they're gone, they're gone for good and the gap they leave is staggering. Grief never leaves you, but you learn to live with it.

7. How did you come up with the title "The Seventh Sentinel"?  

No one knows how many archangels there are (depending on whether or not you believe in God of course, but angels and demons always make for a good story), but it's a generally accepted viewpoint that there are seven archangels. I gave each archangel a continent to preside over, so therefore each continent had to have a sentinel. I made Africa, continent number one, (isn't that where we all came from? Okay, nobody really knows, but it worked for my story) and worked my way round from there. The seventh being Europe, the last continent, and as I wanted my story to start in Europe, The Seventh Sentinel sounded good.


8. How do you handle personal criticism?

I learnt to dance from a young age, ballet, modern, tap. As a dancer you learn to take in depth criticism, from your peers,your teachers and those who critique shows, so you either suck it up or do something else. Sometimes nasty criticism is disheartening, but it can also be a good thing because you learn to be better. If someone doesn't tell you what you're doing wrong, how can you improve?

9. Why should people read your book?

Because its a different take on angels and demons. No one has written about angels empowering humans with supernatural gifts. The story spans continents, goes back in time, has epic fights, a touch of horror and a little romance.

10. Why is there something rather than nothing?

Who knows Why? If there was nothing, then none of us would exist, no planet, no well ... nothing. How sad would that be. But then, if there was nothing, there would be nothing to be sad about. No loving, no hating or everything in between. No epic stories, no great tragedies or great triumphs. I'm so glad there is something rather than nothing. Am I dense? I really don't get this question.

Thanks Yolanda for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book! 


Check out her new book "The Seventh Sentinel" on


Moments before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., the seven Archangels remove powerful, ancient artefacts from the Jewish temple. These are given into the safekeeping of seven men. Throughout the ages, these men and their descendants become known as the Seven Sentinels. In medieval times, the Seven Sentinels formed various military Orders as a cover for their activities. Today, of the Seven Sentinels, two are dead and two have turned rogue, which means only three remain to carry out their roles. A war rages between Heaven and Earth. It is up to the newly empowered Seventh Sentinel to stop the rogues and Fallen Ones, from using these artefacts to gain control of the souls of mankind. Can the Seventh Sentinel endure? 




.

No comments:

Post a Comment