Thursday 9 April 2015

Ruthie Morgan.

Today I'd like to welcome Ruthie Morgan, author of “Skylark” to The Thursday Interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!  


Ruthie Morgan lives and writes by the beach in New Zealand's South Island with her Canadian husband and four children. Born and raised in Scotland she studied in England, ran off to America, then returned to begin a career in a variety of wide ranging fields: movie theatre popcorn seller, runner, bike courier, bar tender, lifeguard, teacher, counsellor and coffee shop owner. Her need to write about everything she encountered eventually worked its way into bank of fabulous detail for a career in fiction. Her first book; 'Doolallys; the story of a little coffee shop with a big heart' is based on her adventures as a cafe owner in the historic town of Bath, England. Ruthie's first work of fiction: 'Skylark' is now available on Amazon. With the sequel well underway, fans of Ruthie can look forward to another instalment in the St. Cloud based saga.




OK - HERE WE GO !!  


1. Would you break the law to save a loved one?...Why?

Of course. Because love is everything.

2. What is the difference in being alive and being truly living?

Being alive is having a heart beat. Truly living is being aware of that heart beat. Paying attention to how you feel and what you see. Being truly alive is experiencing love and loss, hope and heartbreak, fear and joy and being ready to sleep it all off and start again the next day. Being truly alive is laughing at it all, and remembering none of it really matters in the end anyway.

3. What motivates you to write?

It isn’t hard to be motivated for something you love to do. I love great coffee, I don’t have to motivate myself to drink it, it’s a pleasure; writing is the same for me. Luckily my words usually come when I give them a page, there’s no guarantee they’ll be any good, but usually they flow. Tomorrow I might be wringing my hands and bemoaning my writers’ block, so for now I count my blessings. I love to write.

4. Why do humans want children?

I can’t say I’m comfortable speaking for all humans :) but for me, wanting children began with a feeling rather than a thought. A feeling that descended and took me by surprise; morphing quickly into an overwhelming need. Inherently we want to create and children are the biggest creation of all.

5. What was the biggest challenge in creating your book?

Time. I have four small children and a job, time is precious and there’s never, ever enough.

6. What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?

That’s a biggie – maybe that you’ll only ever get out what you put in. If you have a good old run at life and give everyday your best shot then there’s a good chance you’ll get some good stuff back. I read something I liked the other day: ‘Wake Up, Kick Ass, Be Kind, Repeat.’

7. How did you come up with the title "Skylark" ?

My main character Evan is obsessed with birds. If Evan were a bird he’d have been a Skylark; it just worked. I said it aloud enough times that it sort of became the title without me having to think too much about it.

8. How do you handle criticism?

Wonderfully! I smile and nod; make notes to self on how to be better then head off and cry myself to sleep :D

9. Why should people read your book "Skylark" ?

Because Skylark will make them feel. Because the novel encourages readers to re-examine their views on love, addiction, family and the things we do for love. Skylark’s flawed but loveable characters will stay with readers long after the last page is turned. And because it will make readers laugh, then later, cry a little, and that they’ll finish feeling a little richer for the reading.

10. Why is there something rather than nothing?

Because we’re here. 



Thank you Ruthie for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book! 

Check out  “Skylark" on



When Billie May Worthington falls for Evan Skylark she believes she’d do anything, be anything and give everything for him. But can she forgive him when he asks for her world?

Everything twenty one year old Billie knows about life, love, beauty and art are challenged after graduation when she meets Evan, an enigmatic Irish artist with a dark side. Suddenly immersed in Evan’s intense world of artistic brilliance, flying sculptures and sexual obsession, Billie’s carefully planned future is quickly unrecognisable. Spanning London, Paris, Scotland and finally St. Cloud, the South Pacific island they make their home, the young couple chase Evans dreams and run from their past. But what happens to young obsessive love when unplanned pregnancy reshapes the future? As Billie struggles to cope with the demands of motherhood Evan is forced to deal with the repercussions of a previous mistake that rock their world altering the future forever.

Emotionally gripping and darkly humorous Skylark is an unconventional love story. A novel about what we do for love, of beauty in imperfection, betrayal and the weight of obsession.

1 comment: