Thursday 13 August 2015

Josephine Brierley.

Today I'd like to welcome Josephine Brierley, author of 'Chasing Butterflies' to The Thursday Interview. Before we get started, a quick intro! 

Josephine (Jo) lives on the Gold Coast, Australia, with her husband (Rob) and pet dog Paris. Together they love entertaining, good times with friends and enjoying life. Chasing Butterflies is Jo's début novel, and is a story she wanted to tell after her own experience with breast cancer. In July 2012, Jo decided that a Bilateral Mastectomy was the best option for her after being diagnosed. Thankfully she was given the all clear. The desire to write was a long time goal, and fuelled by the loving support from her husband Rob.



OK - HERE WE GO !!  


No.1  Would you break the law to save a loved one? Why?

I really had to think about this one, but yes, I believe I would. If it meant that I was endangering their life, by not breaking the law and doing what I had to do, then I would do so without hesitation. I couldn’t live with myself knowing that a loved one had suffered, due to my inaction. Then, I'd suffer the consequences of doing it!

No.2  What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Being alive is existing - waking up, doing what you have to do, sleeping and then doing it all over again. Without any thought, day in, day out.
Truly living is making the most of every day. Take risks, plan adventures, and travel to new places. Be silly, be vulnerable but also be assertive, have your own beliefs. Love and be loved, let your heart be open. Have friends in your life that know you inside out, and are there for you when you need them. Enjoy life with them, create memories and be grateful for every day that comes your way.

No.3  What motivates you to write?

With Chasing Butterflies, it was the desire to tell my story. So many people thought that they knew everything I had been through, with my own breast cancer experience. This was my opportunity to weave fact with fiction, and share a few of the issues I faced in electing to have a mastectomy, and the emotions I battled. Although my story was light compared to some, it was however something I had to deal with in my own way. Now, that I've self-published, the positive feedback I receive every day, sometimes from complete strangers, inspires me to keep writing, and I am working on my next novel.

No.4  Why do humans want children?

Well, not every woman desires children, and that is fine too. However for those that do, it's an opportunity to continue a legacy, create a future and make a difference. To love, cherish and encourage a child, to be the best person they can be. And knowing that a small part of you is inside of them.

No.5  What was the biggest challenge in creating your book? “Chasing Butterflies”

Putting into words, the roller-coaster of emotions that I went through, and turning them into a story. The fiction side of it was fun; I loved developing my characters. The next step was to have the courage to allow someone to read it, the first turned out to be my husband. His support encouraged me so much, that I then got courageous and passed it to friends, although the largest challenge of all is putting your novel at the mercy of strangers. It's an exhilarating experience.

No.6  What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?

That there are some people in your life that you will never satisfy. And sometimes, the toughest decision is to let them go, push forward with your life and surround yourself with people who embrace you and believe in you.

No.7  How did you come up with the title "Chasing Butterflies” ?

You know the feeling, deep, deep, down in the pit of your belly when you are frightened, nervous or excited? I interpret this feeling as chasing butterflies, and it was something Lorilei dealt with throughout her story.

No.8  How do you handle personal criticism?

I hate it. But I know I have to learn to live with it. I react first and then think about what has been said. I have to learn to do that vice versa!

No.9  Why should people read your book?

Even though my book deals with the subject of breast cancer, it's also about a young woman, who finds her life being stifled by the wrong choice of man. Throughout her journey, she becomes stronger, appreciates life and those that are special to her. She finds love, her sensuality returns and she has someone that accepts her with her scars, regarding them as an indication of her strength and all that she has endured. I hope that it inspires the reader and that they find a connection to me, as a writer.

No.10  Why is there something rather than nothing?

I often question this.

For What Reason am I here? What should I be doing with myself?

I believe that life itself leads you down the path that you are meant to travel. I have found that people come into my life, each with a different purpose; I hope that I serve a purpose to them also, and I am thankful for every one. I would rather believe in something, rather than nothing. Something is the world we live in, the earth that we live on and the people that we experience it with. We need to appreciate it more.



Thank you Jo  :)
For taking the time to answer my questions 
& the best of luck with your new book! 

Check out 'Chasing Butterflies' on



Lorilei Williams returns home from a holiday with her long-time boyfriend, Ryan, to a shocking discovery: she has breast cancer. As she grapples with her diagnosis, her relationship breaks down—the sex was good, but now she faces the inevitable. Her relationship with Ryan has to end.

Lonely and frightened, Lorilei accepts the reality of breast cancer treatment, as her mother did before her. But as Lorilei does her best to cope, she finds a friend in Lukas Bray, her employer of five years, and discovers an inner strength she never knew she had.

As one relationship breaks down and Lorilei ponders whether anyone will love her with the new scars that grace her body, she finds that Lukas Bray is there for her throughout her journey.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment