Thursday 3 September 2015

Nikki Stern.

Today I'd like to welcome Nikki Stern, author of 'DON'T GO' to The Thursday Interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!  



Nikki Stern is the author of HOPE IN SMALL DOSES and BECAUSE I SAY SO. She's written for the New York Times, Newsweek, USA Today and has made a number of public appearances. Her first suspense novella, DON'T MOVE, attracted so much favorable attention, she's followed it up with a sequel.






OK - HERE WE GO !!  


No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?
Depends on whether I think the loved one has been falsely accused and/or the law is being unjustly applied. I try not to judge laws themselves—they serve a useful function-- but rather the people who are enforcing them. Fortunately, I don't have too many loved ones I need to worry about at the moment. 

No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
Being alive is biological. Truly living, while subject to debate, implies one is trying to make the most of the undeniable biology of our being alive. 

No.3 What motivates you to write?
Fear. Just kidding. Actually, not entirely. Writing stretches my imagination. It also makes me feel useful, continues to teach me, keeps me disciplined and helps me answer the question, "What is it you DO?" I try to work on more than one project at a time. For example. I have started a novel but there are walls I've run into. In the meantime, I began the thriller novella, which flowed much more easily. So I was inspired to write a follow-up. 

No.4 Why do humans want children?
There's the biological imperative, combined with some desire to achieve immortality by procreating and passing the name along. Some friends are simply curious as to what they might be able to produce. And finally there are those (too) few who think it's a miracle worth experiencing. 

No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "DON'T GO"?
Trying to extend a book originally intended to be a stand-alone. DON'T MOVE was so well-received, with so many people asking to know more about the ex-assassin, who is the lead character, that I thought, "Wonder if I can pull off a trilogy of novellas." I was delighted to find an idea forming before I even opened a new file. Plus, I like to say "Trilogy of novellas." 

No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
I've learned not to quit, not to assume anything is fixed in place, not to stop exercising, not to wait. I've also learned to practice mindfulness, to be aware of my surroundings and as in the moment as possible. 

No.7 How did you come up with the title "DON'T GO"?
The first one was DON'T MOVE. This one is "DON'T GO." They're both directives and they each consists of two syllables. Very punchy. I'm a little concerned about the third one. I don't want to end up with a title like "DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE" 

No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?
If it's personal, I am inclined to ignore it, unless it references a particular behavior. I certainly don't want to give offense. If it's professional, I'm very open. I'm inclined to listen more to someone whose opinion I respect but I don't think that's unusual.

No.9 Why should people read your book?
Cheap thrills. Literally. The book is inexpensive and it is thrilling to read, or so I've been told. I think the characters are compelling and the story is contemporary with a timeless undercurrent. What thrills me most, pardon the pun, is that this book in particular has themes that go far beyond the "thriller" designation. I got into an examination of connections concerning two very different families, one whose members were "good" and one whose members were not. Yet the lines are blurred, as they tend to be when familial connections are concerned. That was a fun notion to explore. 

No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
I don't know for certain if there is something rather than nothing. I'm smart enough and old enough, however, to recognize that thinking there's nothing is a gloomy way to go through the day.


Thank you Nikki :)
For taking the time to answer my questions 
& the best of luck with your new book! 

Check out 'DON'T GO' on



In the suspenseful sequel to DON'T MOVE, blood proves to be thicker than water. The ex-assassin has moved to London following the violent death of her enemy. Her husband still works for M16 and her son is about to marry the daughter of a lord. All is well, until she sees a familiar face and her past suddenly comes crashing into the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment