Thursday 29 October 2015

Rachel McGrath.

Today I'd like to welcome Rachel McGrath, author of “Mud on your Face” to The Thursday Interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!  

Rachel McGrath grew up in Redcliffe, just by the seaside in Queensland, Australia. In her earlier years she studied business, and worked in both Melbourne and Brisbane, before moving to the United Kingdom in her early thirties. She currently lives just north of London, in a Hertfordshire village, where she met and married her husband, and has a professional career in human resources. Rachel has always had a passion for writing both fiction and non-fiction. Since her early teens, she has created many short stories as well as smaller pieces that have never been published. Finding the Rainbow is her first published work, a memoir capturing a difficult time in her life. She is passionate about sharing this with a wider audience.


OK - HERE WE GO !!  



No.1  Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?
What is the definition of the law? When you have real love in your life, that is unconditional and unyielding; there is nothing I wouldn’t do to protect it, hold it and keep it safe. In my view the law fades into the background when it comes to putting love first!

No.2  What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
Living is about making the most of your existence. Taking being the fact that you are alive and then just grabbing it with two hands. It is easy to step through life one day at a time, but truly living, that is making every ounce of your life count.

No.3  What motivates you to write?
I am a storyteller at the heart of it all. I love fantasy, building different realities, or adventures into a format that will entertain and connect with a broad population. I love the idea that people I don’t even know might read my stories and get to know me better through my writing. That is motivating!

No.4  Why do humans want children?
First and foremost I believe humans want to love and nurture. Having children is an inherent legacy built into human beings (and all animals), and knowing that you are completely responsible for that baby right through to adulthood is in so many ways frightening, yet satisfying. Those who are lucky enough to fall pregnant and have children are truly blessed.

No.5  What was the biggest challenge in creating your book"Mud on your Face" ?
I actually don’t have children of my own, so in many ways I had to channel my ‘inner child’, and look for the advice of others with children to ensure that my story was suitable for the age group I was targeting. I also did not come from a large family, and I was the oldest child. So Gus’ predicament was purely from my own imagination, putting myself in a different set of shoes, and getting myself into a seven year old boy’s mindset. That was pure fun!

No.6  What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
Never give up on your dreams! Sometimes your dreams may take a different shape, and that is okay, so long as you never lose sight of them. Life can be so unexpected, and no matter what your circumstances, age or background, you can fight for your dreams, and whether or not you succeed at least you have tried.

No.7  How did you come up with the title "Mud on your Face"?
Mud on your Face, comes back to that old age adage, be careful what you wish for. The pun, having ‘mud on your face’ is about Gus making a wish for something, and then realizing that all along he was happy with what he had in life. Plus, it is a fun title that will hopefully appeal to kids!

No.8  How do you handle personal criticism?
I like feedback, and I welcome input to improve myself. If I want to be better than I was yesterday, I need to take feedback and criticism on board. My only expectation is that it is constructive and not personal. Insults and vindictiveness only serves one purpose and it is certainly not helpful.

No.9  Why should people read your book?
My book is aimed towards seven to ten year olds, but hopefully it will be enjoyed by every member of the family. Entwined into the story is a lovely morale about family and being grateful for what you have. It is a fantasy story filled with lovely illustrations, and I hope that the story resonates with a younger audience.

No.10  Why is there something rather than nothing?
Nothing offers no hope, no promise and no future. It is bleak and non-existent. It helps no one. Something is the potential of what could be. If you have something, there is an expectation of things to come. We all want something in life, what that is, is based on our individual wants and needs. But at least it is something.




Thank you Rachel  :)
For taking the time to answer my questions 
& the best of luck with your new book! 

Check out “Mud on your Face” on



Gus is a seven-year-old boy who comes from a very large family with eight brothers and sisters. 

Sometimes Gus feels left out, picked on, or even forgotten by his family. He wonders what life might be like if he had no brothers or sisters, and if he was an only child. 

On a family camping trip Gus finds himself lost in the woods, left behind by his family. 

A different adventure takes place for Gus with a strange new friend. 

Be careful what you wish for…. 

This is a fun adventure book filled with illustrations, aimed towards seven to ten year old children.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment