Thursday 28 March 2013

Welcome Kerry Connelly to "The Thursday Interview"

 
 
Today I'd like welcome Kerry Connelly, author of Observation City to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, tell us a little about yourself.
 
I am an English born, Australian author. Having worked previously in radio, journalism and retail management I enjoy dual roles as an education assistant and author. Having studied film and television and being an avid reader, I enjoy autobiographies,memoirs and love a good tv show and movie. My first title 'Observation City' is a collection of witty reflections relatable to situations in life and the behaviours of the people in it.
 

 



OK - Here goes!
 
 
 
 
No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? But why?
It would have to be someone I cared about very much but yes of course...to SAVE a loved one, yes, for the people you truly love, there’s not too much you wouldn’t do.


No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
The difference is in existing, we’re all grateful to be alive but TRULY living is to feel a part of something and to do what you love to do.
 
No.3 What motivates you to write?
My brain, it’s constantly swirling with ideas- I have to get them out somehow, I’ve always loved writing and when I was 12years old I said I wanted to be a writer and kindergarten teacher, -16years later I remembered what I had said when I was a child and now I am an author and education assistant.
 
No.4 Why do humans want children?
Society deems having children to be the natural order of things and what you SHOULD do in your adulthood- saying that, if you’ve ever had the joy in being a part of a child’s life- watching them grow, teaching them things, reconnecting with your own inner child through them, or have had the warmth from a child when they say I love you – I think that’s what drives humans to have children of their own, the admiration and genuine love from another (tiny) human being.
 
No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "Observation City"?
Piecing it together in categories and coming up with a title.
 
 
No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
That you can’t control everything, especially other people’s behaviours. There will always be people who hate for hating’s sake or that try to bully and put you down due to their own negative feelings. Learning to disassociate yourself from these people is key and remember that you can never control other people’s actions, you can only control your reactions to them. Always be who you are and be your own best friend.
 
No.7 How did you come up with the title "Observation City"?
I played around with the concept of genre, and since it is a collection of anecdotal pieces, reflections and observational pieces, I came up with ‘Observation’ and ‘City’ was from the idea of a vast space of people.
 
 
No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?
As an author I am aware (as should all aspiring authors should be,) that your work might not always be everyone’s cup of tea. Criticism is something that comes with the business, having now been published with another book on the way- I realise that any form of artistry comes with a certain level of putting yourself out there for judgment. If you love what you do though, you just have to accept it as part of the territory.
 
No.9 Why should people read your book?
Aside from it being a fun and easy read, it’s quite relatable. I’ve been quite humbled and pleased with readers who have said (Male and female) that certain pieces in ‘Observation City’ have helped them think more about their own lives and take steps to changing situations they are dealing with.
 
 
 No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
I believe in the after-life and I that life may exist as a trial for the afterlife.
 
 
 
 
 
Thank you Kerry for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your book!





Check out her new book "Observation City" on

 
 
 
HAVE YOU EVER thought how much the idea of superstition could be really impacting our lives? Or the concept that we may all very well have be born with a karmic tally board of which we can accumulate and loose points on through life? OR have you just had a rubbish chain of first dates,ever been called 'snappy', had an unattainable love or has someone ever asked to buy your knickers?
 

 
 
 
 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment