Thursday 18 April 2013

Sheena Lambert's "Alberta Clipper"


Today I'd like welcome Sheena Lambert, author of "Alberta Clipper" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, intro please!!

 

I was an engineer (I suppose technically, I still am), owned a clothes shop and was a stay-at-home mum before I found writing, or it found me. I never expected to find something that I didn’t even know was missing. It might be like discovering religion, or chocolate, for the first time at the age of 34. Wondering how you could possibly have gotten this far through life without it, and knowing that your life was never going to be the same again with it. I have spent these four years writing stories, poetry and short plays in the hours when my boys are at school. I’ve had more articles published online and in the national press. But most significantly of all, I have written and self-published a novel, Alberta Clipper.

 

 

 

 

OK - Here goes!
 

 

No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?

Yes! Because I wouldn’t be too impressed if the speed limit was the reason I was late getting to the Emergency Department myself…
 
 
No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Good coffee, good wine, good food and good friends.
 

No.3 What motivates you to write?

The idea that someday I will sit in a fancy cocktail bar in New York, surrounded by my best friends, having just come from a book signing, with my publisher off to the side, picking up the tab.
 

No.4 Why do human's want children?

Subconsciously, it’s so they can, through their progeny, improve the world (and its grammar….;-) )
 

No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "Alberta Clipper" ?

Finding the time away from the little blighters in Question 4 to write. Writing is my second job, which can be difficult at times.
 
 
No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?

That if you honestly do what you think is the right thing (and don’t eat dinner too late), you will sleep soundly at night.
 

No.7 How did you come up with the title "Alberta Clipper" ?

An Alberta Clipper is a weather phenomenon that is mentioned a number of times in the book. An Alberta Clipper starts as a benign Pacific breeze, but it can result in heavy snowfall and chaos in Chicago (where part of the book is set) and its environs, thousands of miles away. I also loved the sound of the words, and of course, as the main character in the book is a meteorologist, the term worked. An Alberta Clipper also implies pressure, and change, all of which are important themes in the book.
 

No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?

Like a minor bereavement (well, a little bit of my ego dies every time.) So I start with Denial (I’ll just refresh the button there and the bad review will disappear…), then Anger (that person obviously can’t spell, so who gives them the right to criticise my work?!) Then it’s Bargaining (I should have never given it to that person to review in the first place. It wasn’t their GENRE….) Then comes the Depression. (Why am I bothering to write at all…..) And finally, Acceptance which, they say, is a gift not afforded to everyone….
 

No.9 Why should people read your book?

If you would like to read a book set in modern Ireland, if you have ever worked in an office, if you have a passing interest in the weather, or if you just want to escape into another realistic, contemporary world for a while, then you should read Alberta Clipper.
 

No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?

I reviewed a book on climbing Everest once, under duress (although it turned out to be a fantastic read). Before I opened it, I was thinking to myself, "Why would ANYONE want to climb Everest…" And then I turned the page and the first inside page was blank except for the words "BECAUSE IT’S THERE". So my answer to your question is: "Because there is."

 
 
 
Thank you Sheena for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with this wonderfull book!



Check out her new book "Alberta Clipper" on

 
 


 
 
Christine Grogan is a beautiful 28-year-old meteorologist with a loving family, great friends and an exciting career working for an international investment bank. So why does she spend every January 20th crying like her heart might break? As everyone around her appears to be moving on with their lives, Christine wears her past like a pair of concrete shoes. Can nothing, or nobody help her shake them?
Mark Harrington thought he had all he ever wanted. Head of the bank's Irish operations, he has the career, the house and the relationship any 39-year-old would wish for. But when his seemingly perfectly-planned life suddenly strays totally off course, Mark is confronted with the fact that he isn't actually in control at al…and that he is crazy in love with Christine.

Insider trading, rambunctious Christmas parties, overnight conferences, the modern office environment has it all. But it can also be the stage for a simple, modern love story.
ALBERTA CLIPPER is that story.
 
It is a story of guilt and forgiveness, trust and betrayal.
And absolute, unconditional love.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment