Thursday 30 May 2013

Greg F. Gifune's "House of Rain"

 
Today I'd like welcome Greg F. Gifune, author of "House of Rain" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, intro please!!
 



The son of teachers, Greg F. Gifune was educated in Boston and has lived in various places, including New York City and Peru. A trained actor and broadcaster, he has worked in radio and television as both an on-air talent and a producer. An acclaimed, respected editor, he served as Editor-in-Chief of Thievin’ Kitty Publications, publishers of the magazine THE EDGE, Tales of Suspense and currently serves as Associate Editor at Delirium Books. The author of numerous novels, screenplays and two short story collections, his work has been consistently praised by critics and readers alike, and has been translated into several languages and published all over the world.
 

 
 
 
OK - Here goes!
 
 




1. Would you break the law to save a loved one?...why?
Depends on several factors, of course, but generally speaking, I would if it was necessary, and (in my mind) they deserved to be saved. Why? Because I’m a fiercely loyal person, and if someone’s been wronged by the establishment, then fight the power.
 
2. What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
If you’d ever had my marinara sauce and meatballs you’d already know the answer to this question. Beyond that, I’d have to go with love. I know that’s a broad term, but love makes me truly alive. Loving and being loved.
 
3. What motivates you to write?
Well, there’s my mortgage, but I’m also motivated by the need to get things out of me, to purge myself of my demons. Writing is cathartic for me. It cleanses me in a sense, and has always been a big part of who I am and how I function normally (or as close to normal as I ever get).
 
4. Why do humans want children?
I don’t think all humans do. My wife and I both love children but don’t have any of our own (at least that we know of). Well, that’s not entirely true. We do have children, just not human ones. We have dogs and cats, those are our children, and we love them as deeply as anyone loves anyone else. As to why humans want them generally, besides the obvious desire to leave something of themselves behind, and to continue their families and bloodlines, I’d say it (again) goes back to love. Humans not only want, but have a strong need, to love and be loved.
 
5. What was the biggest challenge in creating your book?
Writing it and remaining sane. Or, you know, close to sane.
 
6. What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
Nothing is what it seems, yet it all hides in plain sight. And still, so few see.
 
7. How did you come up with the title?
HOUSE OF RAIN came to me as a title through the connection between the rain in the piece, the lead character’s sorrow, and its ties to his own troubled past. The rain is also a metaphor and ties into a lot of other deeper angles in the piece, and represents his prison in a sense, so HOUSE OF RAIN made sense (at least to me) as a title. Rain also has many hidden and mystical meanings.
 
8. How do you handle personal criticism?
What the hell’s that supposed to mean? Seriously, no one likes to be criticized, particularly personally, but if you’re referring to criticism of my work, in this business you learn to deal with it and accept it as part of the deal. My motto is: Never take yourself too seriously, but always take the work very seriously. So if the criticism is helpful and constructive or even just a legitimate opinion, cool. If not, that’s okay too. I just don’t pay that much attention to it.
 
9. Why should people read your book?
If they enjoy the kind of thing I do—dark, surreal, existential thrillers—then I think HOUSE OF RAIN (and many of my other novels and novellas) will speak to them, and they’ll hopefully get something out of it (them).
 
10. Why is there something rather than nothing?
Nothing is something. God, by definition, is not human. Why then would we assign God human traits and motivations? If you don’t believe in God then substitute the universe or any other term or concept you’d like. Same answer.



Thank you Greg for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with this wonderfull book!

 
Check out his new book
"House of Rain" on

 
 




Gordon Cole is a tired and lonely old man. A troubled Vietnam vet and recent widower, he does his best to survive in an increasingly dangerous neighborhood while drowning in the nightmares of his horrific past and struggling with the death of his beloved wife Katy.
As Gordon searches for answers, something within the mounting rain watches and waits, offering Gordon deliverance from his nightmare. But the keys to Heaven and Hell come with a terrible price.

Welcome home, Gordon.

Welcome to the House of Rain




 



No comments:

Post a Comment