Thursday 12 June 2014

Elizabeth Los, author of "Second on the Right"

Today I'd like welcome Elizabeth Los, author of "Second on the Right" to the Thursday interview. 
Before we get started, a quick intro!

Elizabeth uses writing as therapy, her release from everyday stress. At night, after work and once the children are finally tucked in bed, for the fifth time, she sits at her laptop and lets her imagination flow. Elizabeth has produced short stories, one of which will be published in an anthology. She’s had fun writing a Sherlock Holmes fan fiction story, A Case of Need, based on the BBC’s Sherlock. By July 2011, her first novel, Second on the Right, had been completed. She spent several years polishing the story in order to provide a high quality product to the public. Second on the Right is her first professional novel.


OK - HERE WE GO !!  


No.1  Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?
I would like to consider myself a law-abiding citizen. It's truly difficult to say how I would react unless I were knee deep in the situation. That being said, wouldn't anyone consider breaking the rules and doing all they could to save a loved one? Sure, being asked outside of the crisis, most would probably say “no”, but when thrown into that situation, I’d bet their answer would change. The question reminds me of movies like John Q and Prisoners.

No.2  What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
Those walking about the Earth are alive, but to truly live? For me, it’s being true to myself and helping others. At times, I wonder if that is more of a character flaw, but I do tend to think of and help others more than myself.

No.3  What motivates you to write?
It’s all about inspiration. If I don’t have it, it usually shows in my writing. I have ideas for stories, but not all of them flow easily on paper. When writing about pirates, I would often listen to Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks. My favorite songs within those soundtracks are the Kraken, Davy Jones and Mermaids. Music helps motivate me not only in writing, but in everything else I do, from work to cleaning. Whistle while you work? Yes, yes I do.

No.4  Why do humans want children?
A clinical or science oriented mind would say to procreate and further the family line and human species. For everyone, though, I’d imagine the answer is different. As a mother of two children, its much more than that. When my husband and I decided to try for a child, it was a decision that we took very seriously. We knew the work that would be involved, but no amount of logical thought or planning could prepare us for everything in the raising of children. With my firstborn, the lack of sleep nearly drove me mad, but when my second was born, I was used to it. So why put myself through it? I’ve enjoyed my time with them. Giving them love, attention and care, most of the times have been truly enjoyable. And to receive that love in return? Its indescribable. When your child says “I love you” and it is heartfelt, it is a wonderful feeling.

No.5  What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "Second on the Right" ?
There were so many! I’d have to say the biggest challenge was pushing through to make Second on the Right the best, highest quality product I could. For me, it is extremely important to create not only an entertaining read, but one that is void of problems (typos, grammatical errors, etc).

No.6  What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far? 
Just to love and be loved in return. :)

No.7  How did you come up with the title "Second on the Right" ?
It’s a play on a phrase from the original J.M. Barrie novel, Peter Pan (aka Peter and Wendy): Second to the right, and straight on till morning. I felt it was important to give a nod to the creator of Captain Hook and Peter Pan. In the novel, Second on the Right, there are many occasions where this happens, especially in the epilogue.

No.8  How do you handle personal criticism?
It can be disheartening at times, especially when the criticism seems to come with an air of disrespect. I had heard an interview a while back where the author refused to read any reviews. Instead, he had someone else assigned to go through them. In the event there was a review that the assigned person felt the author should see, it would be sent along. What I thought was great was that person would help place a positive spin on the review, even if it were negative. That’s something I think author’s have a difficult time doing, because the project is so near and dear to them. I’m thinking of running the same setup for myself.

No.9  Why should people read your book? 
It’s fun! Well, it’s more than just that. If you ever wonder why Captain Hook had so much hatred for Peter Pan, this story will explain it. If you enjoy twists on classic fairy tales, you’ll like the story. If you love fantasy in general, you’ll have fun with Second on the Right. It holds action, mystery, thrills and chills, romance, suspense, and a tinge of horror. Do rash actions make for bad decisions? Does one day’s passion equate to another day’s guilt? Is Hook justified in his anger and desire for revenge?

No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
Something motivates us to grow as individuals, whereas nothing keeps us safe and comfortable...and stagnant.


Thanks Elizabeth for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book! 


Check out her new book "Second on the Right" on


Spawned from an ancient promise, treachery and intrigue follow the protagonists through our world and one lost to the waves. Bound by an invisible bond, they are thrust into a fantastical world of pirates and demons. James Benedict is a just man haunted by evil. Pushed to the edge, everything stripped from him, a new man arises . . . a man whose name strikes fear into the hearts of all who hear it: "Captain Hook". Eileen Davis was a timid woman. Through a fateful cruise she finds herself in the company of the Captain of the Mistral Thief. With his guidance, and the meddling of the local barista, she eventually finds her inner strength. Will the two of them unite through time to fulfill the promise of their ancestors or will tempers ignite leading all to failure?





.

No comments:

Post a Comment