Thursday 21 August 2014

Kathryn Lively, author of "Killing The Kordovas"

Today I'd like welcome Kathryn Lively, author of  "Killing The Kordovas" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!

Kathryn Lively is an award-winning writer and editor, Slytherin, Big Bang Theorist, and Rush (the band) fan. She is an EPIC Award nominee and winner and has edited EPIC Award nominated titles for Phaze Books, Whiskey Creek Press, and FrancisIsidore ePress. She also maintains a pen name, L.K. Ellwood, for other mysteries. She loves chocolate and British crisps and is still searching for a good US dealer of Japanese Kit Kat bars. Please visit her at www.KathrynLively.com and say on Twitter @MsKathrynLively.



OK - HERE WE GO !!  

No.1  Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?

This is a tricky question, because I feel it depends on the situation. If I had to maim or kill a bad guy to protect a loved one, I would do it. Of course, that could be considered self-defense, right? If a loved one needed money for a life-saving operation I might be pressed to breaking the law to get it. However, if a loved one did something stupid and needed help I’d stay within the confines of the law.

No.2  What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

I suppose it’s like either being in the world or of the world. Anybody can go through day to day motion – eating, sleeping, watching TV – but to truly live one must find a passion and enjoy it. That could be reading every book on the planet or hiking the Appalachian Trail. When you find what you love to do most, then you are truly living.

No.3  What motivates you to write?

So many things! I get ideas for stories every day – I only need to look out my window or see something on the news to generate a storyline. Also, I just enjoy writing. I may never make millions from it, but I think I’d rather be happy with what I create.

No.4  Why do humans want children?

Good question. I have one and her room is a mess – I definitely could have done without that. Perhaps it’s a longing to extend one’s life and legacy, a desire for companionship and a desire to share the things you love with an impressionable mind. Maybe we want to see cartoon movies without feeling silly going by ourselves.

No.5  What was the biggest challenge in creating your book Killing the Kordovas ?

The biggest challenge, and this goes for any book, is creating believable characters the readers will like. Sometimes in dialogue I tend to get a bit sarcastic and I want speech to flow naturally, without it reading like a sitcom script. If people identify with the characters, the battle is almost won.

No.6  What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far? 

Your happiness is far more important than what others think. I’ve learned so much this last year from people who are happy with themselves regardless of income or pants size. If you want to wear a bikini, put one on. Do things because YOU want to do them, not because you want to please somebody with opinions that may not matter later.

No.7  How did you come up with the title Killing the Kordovas ?

It’s no secret that some characters are modeled after this crop of reality “celebrities.” I like the alliteration of the title, and the entire story was inspired by a number of events – attending a comedy club, catching up on publishing news, and venting my personal frustrations. Just like that it all came together.

No.8  How do you handle personal criticism?

People will either like your books or they won’t. That’s fine. I’d personally rather have somebody be honest in a review and actually post it. The worst review a writer can receive is silence. There are people out there who don’t like Star Wars or Breaking Bad or other iconic things that seem untouchable. I don’t let criticism bother me, my life is too short.

No.9  Why should people read your book? 

These days I think we all could us a good laugh. There’s at least one for everybody in my book. It speaks for the person who has had to deal with rejection and frustration.

No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing? 

Something is a thing, and nothing equals emptiness. It’s better to have something and to make something of it, than to have nothing and wish you had something. Does this make sense – it’s early here and I haven’t had coffee.




Thanks Kathryn for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book! 


Check out her new book "Killing The Kordovas" on



WARNING: This book contains rough language, spoilers for a possible sequel to Judy Blume’s Blubber, suggested lyrics for the theme to Sanford and Son, and one very mixed-up romance author. Words come easily to writer Danni Hewitt. If only success did the same. The news of America’s latest reality sweetheart inking a major book deal sends Danni spiraling into depression, to the point where the idea of soothing her jealousy with a murderous rampage appeals to her. 

Of course, this requires getting close enough to Krystal Kordova and her family to draw blood, something Danni achieves when she manages to land a job as Krystal’s ghostwriter. 

Is the pen deadlier than the sword? Stick with Danni and find out.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment