Thursday 29 October 2015

C. De Melo.


Today I'd like to welcome C. De Melo, author of “The Duchess de Nuit” to The Thursday Interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!


After graduating Summa cum Laude from UMASS Dartmouth with a degree in Art History, C. De Melo moved to Tuscany and became an art history tour guide in Florence. She has also led gourmet food and wine tours. She is extremely passionate about European history, art, travel, and cultural exchanges.





OK - HERE WE GO !!  



No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? Why?
Yes, absolutely- without thinking twice. Why? Because my love is stronger than any man’s laws. Period. If I love you (and I mean REALLY love you), you can show up at my house with a dead body in the trunk of your car and I will grab a shovel (and then write a best-selling novel about the whole experience under a pseudonym). Next question.

No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
I began “truly living” my life when I finally fulfilled my dream of moving to Florence, Italy. Back in the US, I lived to work. Now, I work to live. There’s a big difference.

No.3 What motivates you to write?
As an art historian, I am passionate about history, people, and LIFE. I travel a lot and have lived on four continents. I am first and foremost a storyteller. To me, telling stories is a way to educate, entertain, and escape from reality.

No.4 Why do humans want children?
Human ego. Legacy. People will claim it’s about God, the gift of life, a child to love, blah blah blah...if all that were true, why not adopt? There are millions of children in need of loving homes. I don’t have any kids, so my books (and my artwork) are my legacy.

No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "The Duchess de Nuit?”
Trying to pace myself physically. When inspiration strikes, I can sit and write for countless hours- but my carpal tunnel syndrome (and other parts of my body) will suffer for it. I’ve tried dictation programs on my computer but it’s not the same.

No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
Shakespeare gave humanity the best advice when he said: “To thine own self be true.” Just being “100% ME” without caring what others think is the most important rule I’ve learned thus far.

No.7 How did you come up with the title "The Duchess de Nuit: A Vampire Tale of Lust and Blood"?
I lived briefly in Lyon, France- an incredible city rich in history and beauty. While wandering through deserted cobblestone streets one night, I began to think of vampires and a story formed in my head. I imagined a lovely (yet deadly) noblewoman emerging from the shadows in 18th century clothing- the Duchess of the Night (The Duchess de Nuit). Other characters started taking shape in my mind to create a tale of passion, betrayal, life, and death (A Vampire Tale of Lust and Blood).

No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?
Depends. I always consider the SOURCE. If the criticism is presented in a constructive manner by someone who is obviously educated, and it allows me to better myself (or my work), then I am appreciative of it. If some ignorant schmuck insults me because they don’t like how I write, paint, dress, act, speak- whatever- I simply ignore it. Seriously, who cares?

No.9 Why should people read your book?
Because it’s a vampire story unlike any other. My vampires are sophisticated, elegant, yet edgy, sexy, and dangerous. Since I have visited most of the places mentioned in the book (Versailles, Annecy, Lyon, London) the descriptions are vibrant and accurate. The book is a combination of historical fiction, contemporary urban fantasy, and paranormal. The sex scenes are very sensuous and steamy- not cheap and tawdry. Also, I pride myself on being the kind of writer that appeals to women and men. No fluff.

No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
Our entire universe is made up of SOMETHING. Once upon a time scientists believed there was nothing but lifeless rocks out there...now we know it is teeming with organic matter. It’s mind-blowing. What an exciting time to be alive!



Thank you Miss De Melo :)
For taking the time to answer my questions 
& the best of luck with your new book! 

Check out “The Duchess de Nuit” on



Blending historical fiction and the paranormal, this sexy novel tells the epic tale of Angelique, a duchess rescued from her miserable human life by the powerful Arsham, an ancient Persian prince who leads the biggest vampire coven in Europe. She eventually rises within the ranks, becoming a stealthy vampire warrior with the rare and precious gift. Although Angelique is Arsham's favorite, he extends little mercy when she breaks one of the most sacred laws of the coven: consorting with a slayer (from the deadly Sauvage family, no less). From the luxurious royal courts of 18th century France to the gritty underworld of 19th century Victorian and modern day London, this sensuous story embraces lust, intrigue, deception, and blood.
.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment